Thursday, February 20, 2014

Progress

See, I have been working on my cardigan. I've gotten through the body. It's sixteen inches of stockinette stitch with slight shaping.
Here is a better shot of the shaping. You can at least see how the shaping makes a bit of a lip on the hem.

It's a bottom up pattern, clearly, so now I need to spend some time reading the next few steps repeatedly to figure out how I am supposed to add on stitches for the sleeves. Really I get the adding new stitches part; what I'm a bit confused about is where the under arm stitches come from. I can't just add stitches into a straight line and then just start knitting them in the round when it comes time to work the sleeves, it'll leave a hole...

I'm sure many of you out there are rolling your eyes thinking that it is such a simple process, but this is the first time I've done anything like this. I did make a sweater for my daughter a year or so ago, but that was worked in flat pieces and then sewn together, so knitting in the round, bottom up is a new experience.

But that is what this whole thing is about, trying and learning new things, so I guess I will have to be a bit better about keeping you updated while I work on my yoke and finish the sweater. Until now it really has been just hours or stockinette stitch, much like so many of the patterns I have ahead of me but at least those will really be in the round, er well two of them, and there will be slightly less purling.

In the meantime, anyone know a good place to go for fifteen millimeter buttons?

No comments:

Post a Comment