Thursday, July 4, 2013

Current Project 7-4-2013

Right now, I am working on a pair of cable knit knee socks for a friend. I am using Vanna's Choice on size 5 dpns, or double pointed needles. When I started swatching, I was concerned that using size 8 needles would not leave the socks sturdy enough, but wow size 5 leaves them very solid and stiff.

I need to get myself a portable row counter. I have been using the lighter needle through the cables to count my rows. It has been working well enough, but I need the cables to make this work without stretching stitches.

I have also been using that lighter needle for my cabling needle. I think it is a size three, and it has been really nice to have a straight needle to work with instead of the crazy curved ones- though I do like the way the curved ones hang, I just find them difficult to knit off of.

If you look closely on my finished sock, you can see my "lovely" ladder. I'm pretty new to socks so I'm not really sure where it came from. I've heard that using the Magic Loop method should help with that, but I also want to try double knitted socks where you end up knitting one sock inside the other. I suppose you could double knit on circular needles too, but the directions I found said to use dpns. Anyway, any suggestions to get rid of ladders, let me know. They only started showing up as I began to move up the leg, so that kind of confuses me...oh well, maybe they'll be better next time.


That's about all I have for now. I'd love to see what anyone out there is working on. Please leave a link or a post below!

No comments:

Post a Comment