Monday, July 8, 2013

Success


Not all the yarn I spin gets treated so poorly. Here is some Blue Faced Leicester of BFL that I bought, already dyed, up in Minnesota while visiting family. I also bought a new spindle. This lovely yarn was not made on my giant student spindle shown in yesterday's pictures, but on a "real" medium weight spindle. It is still pretty simple, but it it much easier to spin finer yarn on as the weight of the spindle does not break my thread.

Back to the yarn... I loved this fiber when I say it. I know you can't see it here, but the fiber still has some of the original crimp in it, potentially making the finished yarn more elastic. I say potentially because I tend to stretch and over twist my yarn leaving little room for things like elasticity, but be sure that my yarn won't break! I love the way the colors twist and the great variety in this fiber. This wool has a full spectrum of blues, green, purple, pink, and even a few areas of white

Anyway, I am quite proud of this yarn, as it if pretty consistent and fairly thin. Before you leave the page, remember, I've only spun about a pound of yarn so far, so this is a pretty big step for me.
Here are a few strands over a 1/2 inch PVC pipe with my thumb in the shot for additional scale. The great thing about being able to spin finer yarn consistently is that you end up with more! I had previously spun up 8 ounces of Merino and ended up with about 130 yards. With this attempt, the four ounces that I have already spun gave me almost 152. So, if I stay consistent, and decide to use the yarn in singles, I will have just over 300 yards to play with. That's enough to actually make something, now I just have to figure out what!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment