Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Prelude on the Way!

 I ordered my Kromski Prelude today! My parents were wonderful people, and knowing my recent interest in spinning, and using the completion of graduate school as an excuse, they sent me a check large enough for a wheel!

There are many different kinds of spinning wheels these days (here is a good article explaining wheels and their parts), but after consulting with my husband, we both agreed that a Saxony style wheel was best for us. We both really like the traditional style, and with the Prelude only having an 18 inch wheel diameter, it won't take up too much space. While castle wheels have a much smaller footprint, they just don't have the right feel for me.

I was also surprised how few companies make a Saxony wheel these days. Schacht has one, but it's over $1,000, so that wasn't happening. Ashford carries four, but they start just below $600. And then Kromski has four. The Prelude is a "traveling" wheel making it a bit smaller, and lighter at 9 pounds, and a bit less expensive, which allows me to spend the balance of my gift at a fiber festival at the beginning of October (squee!). Many of the reviews I have seen also boast that the Prelude could be "the only wheel you'll need." As Kromski has both Jumbo and Fast flier attachments. Though if I find that I need a different wheel at some point, all Kromski bobins are interchangeable between wheels.

The lovely folks over at Paradise Fibers even shipped my order today. I submitted my order before 1:30, along with the $40 in free fiber they throw in when you get a wheel- I have Jacob, Alpaca, and Norwegian wool coming, and I got an e-mail at 6:30 giving me tracking information and UPS says I should get my order the 20th!

This does mean I will have to learn to spin again, but I should have plenty of wool to learn, as well as a bit of Bella Wool left that needs to get spun still. But I think it'll be worth it when I don't have to spend four days spinning to get through four ounces of wool.

The real question is if I will be able to use it this month... or next month. My husband's "temporary" assignment is coming to an end and we will be moving 600 miles at the end of October, and we're starting to get into that packing mindset, but I have to make sure the wheel works right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment