Saturday, September 28, 2013

WIPs are taking over...

Here is a list of projects I am currently working on...
Socks for the 4 year-old
Scarf for the husband
Double knit scarf with Pi digits
Log Cabin afghan
Entralac scarf/wrap (we'll see how long it gets)
Hat from handspun
Satchel/messenger bag from handspun
Free form and excessively huge reading sweater
Random swatches and design attemps

It feels like so much, but it's less than double digits, so that has to count for something. And swatching doesn't really count does it?

The problem is, except for the sweater -which only has sleeves left- and the pi scarf -which is about half done- all of the other projects are still in pretty early stages.

And there are new projects I want to do. After a few issues trying to create and write patterns, as well as a class where I had the most questions -or was at least brave enough to ask- I realized I'm not as good of a knitter as I thought. I can knit scarves, and do cables pretty well, but I have only basic lace and color skills along with a very limited pattern vocabulary.

So here's the plan. For my class I had to buy this season's 4th Malabrigo pattern book. It has so many. Lovely patterns that I would actually wear, so I figure I'll just knit through it, skipping the things that aren't my style or use techniques I am confident of, like the cowl where you knit a bunch of cables and then drop the connecting stitches.

The problem is of course that all these patterns were designed to sell yarn, so they use a lot of it. Either there are a lot of colors, or the sweaters are tunics, or they are shawls and not scarves, etc. So this is gonna take a while...

On the bright side, I have spun two skeins on my wheel this week. Over three hundred yards of two-ply yarn in one week, so that's going well, and I will have updates on it soon, promise.

There is also a fiber festival in my area next weekend with fleece sales, demos, animals to pet, and sheep dog trials. That will probably take a couple posts to cover.

I have been busy knitting, I have finished a Fair Isle hat, a tail and ears for my daughter's Halloween costume, and a cowl using the mobius cast on from "Cast-on, Cast-off." Now I just need to stop starting new projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment