Thursday, October 31, 2013

Post Festival- Alpaca Batt

 In for installment two of Fiber Festival Recap. Today I'm going to talk about the Alpaca/Faux Cashmere/Angelina batt I got.

It's 0.7 ounces of fiber. I wanted to try spinning a batt and liked the colors and amount of this choice. I got a small batt because I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of something I didn't like spinning from.

I started by unwrapping it and pulling off a section, but that left me with a lot of shedding Angelina and having to connect sections of fiber more than I wanted to. So about half way through the batt, I just started spinning from the entire batt. It wasn't really any different, I just had more in my lap.
I spun the whole batt as one single and then made a center-pull ball to ply it back on itself. I really need a ball winder, because every time I do my own center pull balls, I end up with a bunch of knots (but a swift is on my to buy list first).

I think I got between 50 and 75 yards of two ply that I have been knitting into a phone cozy on size 1 needles.


Phone Cozy
Materials
50 Yards of sock weight yarn
Size 1 dpns
1 markers
darning needle

Body
Use Judy's Magic Cast on to cast on enough stitches to span the width of your phone and placing markers at ends. (My Samsung Glide took about 25-30)
Knit 3 rows.
Knit 1 and increase 1 tbl, K to end of needle, K until last 2 stitches, Knit front and back, K 1, repeat on other needles
Knit length of your phone.
Cast off front half of stitches.
Continue st st across remaining stitches, ssk first stitch on all RS rows until three stitches remain.
Continue in I-cord for 5-6 inches.
Bind off these stitches.

Flower "Button"
Cast on 40 stitches.
Work in st st for 4-6 rows ending on a WS row.
K2tog to end (20 stitches).
P2tog to end (10 stitches).
K2tog to end (5 stitches).
 Cut a long tail. Using darning needle, thread tail through the remaining 5 stitches and pull tight. This will curl your flower into a spiral.
Use rest of tail to sew flower onto desired location of cozy.

Weave in ends.
Block if desired.


Wrap I-cord around flower to secure cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment