Thursday, October 24, 2013

Post Festival- Angora/Wool Blend

 Here's a bit about what I got at the festival. I have to hand it to my husband; as we were driving up, he asked me how much I was planning on getting. I thought I was going to make some comment about the upcoming move and his desire for less stuff, but he totally surprised me when he said that since this opportunity wouldn't come around too often, I should just get as much and whatever I wanted.

I only ended up with three fiber items. In hind sight, there was some alpaca yarn that my husband was drawn too that he kept coming back to that I wish I had gotten, but overall I was just so overwhelmed by it all that it was easier to just look and not buy.

The white in the photo above is the Angora/Wool blend I got. There was an ounce and it was so soft. I'm not sure what kind of wool it was blended with. My guess is Merino judging by the fiber length and feel of it. I have spun it up and have about 100 yards of a lace weight single. I'm still not sure if I want to ply it or what I intend to do with it, but it was nice to try something new and it felt wonderful.

Up to this point I have spun everything on the lowest ratio on my wheel (6:1), but since this had a much shorter staple length than what I normally spin, I moved it to the middle ratio (10.5:1). It spun up really well. I am still over spinning the yarn. Of course if I ease up on the tension I get the pigtails, but I have been getting coils of yarn as I spin that stay in the yarn even when it's plied. I didn't want that in the Angora, so once I was done putting in too much Z twist, I ran it through my wheel with an S twist to get rid of those coils. I was worried that wouldn't leave me enough twist to ply it, if I want to, but I think it'll be alright as I still got quite a few pigtails when I skeined it.

I also got a beautiful painted Tencel/Wool blend and a Alpaca/Faux Cashmere/Angelina batt, but those will be for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment