Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I'm not going to call them Resolutions

Happy New Year!
 So I thought a bit yesterday about how much I learned last year, and I have to say I was a bit impressed with myself, but now we have a new year and a chance to start over, or at least continue some nice trends of stretching out of our comfort zone. So here are a few goals I have for the new year, at least the fiber-y ones...

Things to Knit
  1. Kaleidoscope by Sarah Sutherland
  2. Moscow Coat by Vladimira Cmorej
  3. Enrejado by Kirsten Kapur
  4. Tapiz by Spilly Jane
  5. Pi Scarf by Christina J
  6. Cotswald Bag
I'm sure there will be other things that come up during the year. I'd like to get a few pullovers in there, but that Moscow Coat is huge (though the yarn is on the way!) and I need to finish spinning for Kaleidoscope (which I technically started last year, but oh well), and the Pi scarf could literally go on forever, so that is all I feel I can commit to right now, but I'm sure you'll hear more about everything.

Techniques to try or learn
  1. Felting/fulling
  2. Chain Plying
  3. Get better at processing
  4. Tablet Dying
I need to get The Knitter's Life List to see what else I need to know. There are all sorts of individual patterns that I want to knit, but I'm not sure exactly how they play out with new skills. The tablet dying is an idea I have, but I need to get through a bit more of my Bella Wool so I have something to try it on, but believe me, you'll hear all about it.

Spinning
  1. More
  2. Finish all of the current fiber I have
  3. Get more consistent
I have a lot of spinning to do. I am spinning alpaca for the Kaleidoscope cardi, and hopefully the pound of BFL my mother-in-law got me will spin out to enough for the Enrejado shawl, but I also have another pound of pure white alpaca (!) , four ounces of Malabrigo Nube (!), and the rest of my Bella Wool, and shearing season is only 5 months away...

Other Fiber Related Goals
  • Blog more
    •  This is to be a chronicle of what I learn, the things, I try, mistakes, successes, and all the steps in between. I won't get that if I don't stay consistent with what I am working on, even if I post shorted updates more often, and then a few or my more meditative responses when I can. So in the future, hopefully still a focus on pictures, but more updates, even if they are just a few sentences, and then a longer post every couple of weeks or so.
  • Enter a Fiber item in a Festival
    • I am hoping for something spun, but I'll take whatever. I have a great resource in my Knitting group about what to enter and where, so hopefully that will work out!
  • Sell Something
    • I don't care what really, a pattern, a finished product, yarn, anything, I just want to sell something, but I guess I need to start by making things available for sale first...
  • Get in my hours!
    • I think I probably have more hours than are reflected in my count, but while I do need to do more, I also need to keep track better. Either way, I would like to hit 800-1000 hours by the end of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment